(urth) "Realistic fiction leaves out too much." - Gene Wolfe

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sun May 1 09:46:56 PDT 2011

On 5/1/2011 9:03 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> Those other questions you ask may be interesting too, though they are
> different questions. [Indeed, you could have found questions that are
> nearer the point - the computer waste thing in particular does not
> really fit into easy categories of 'mistreatment by the First World',
> given that we don't oblige anyone to import and process said waste; you
> would have to extend the argument to make it fit.]

We don't know that Omelas obliges people to put their kid in a hole,
either. The hole has to be filled for Omelas to prosper more than it
would otherwise, so a family that would risk starvation would be
motivated to put their kid in the hole so the kid is better off alive
than dead, and the family is much better off.

Likewise, the First World has to spend much less to deal with its
garbage than the profit of the garbage-making enterprises in order to
prosper acceptably, so they find places in the second and third world
where poverty is bad enough that people are willing (either directly,
collectively, or mostly by their representatives) to let their kids be
poisoned by the garbage in return for enough salvage to feed them
instead of letting them starve.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >