(urth) Mostly Spoiler Free Thoughts on Home Fires

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Wed Mar 2 19:20:51 PST 2011

On 3/2/2011 1:47 PM, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
> Jeff Wilson wrote:
>
>> There's also almost a total lack of technical detail of any kind, and the
>> SFnal elements are barely more than tokens.
>
> When you say technical detail I agree -- but there is a lot of stfnal
> content, it's just that that content is mostly social speculation
> shoved into the background.

hmm, not spoilery, so I'll just say that aside from the inherent Forever
War premise in the promotion, I can't think of anything that has to be
SFnally justified for things to progress the way they did, except maybe
for one of the mistaken identities, which could be done with the usual
devices though it would take a rather unwieldy pile of them.

Oh, and rather a lot of the detective work is Columbo-style. Skip
becomes privy to a lot of the stuff that would be a deep dark mystery in
other Wolfe books, but he (and the reader) have to really work on *why*
such a thing was done, and how to catch or just stop the antagonists.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >