(urth) More on Frog and Fish & Ymar

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue Jun 14 05:26:26 PDT 2011

Yes. Wolfe would be a pretty bad engineer if he believed our physical
laws to be mere shadows of the True Laws that rule a higher existence.
(Consider how you would feel if your doctor told you that.) Or so I
would think.

In fact, one might argue that to even attempt to "realistically" depict
a "higher" universe is to bring it down to our level to begin with,
putting them on a par with one another. The Celtic/pagan otherworld is a
far more useful fictional mode than the Christian, however much they
have in common. So this "equal validity" is crucial to Wolfe's fiction
in more than one way.