(urth) not quite Father Inire's mirrors . . .

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 8 10:08:47 PDT 2011

>Gerry Quinn: Perhaps reflected reality generates more pressure than reflected light!
>(Of course, Inire's mirrors may not be identical to Tzadkiel's sails, even if
>they share some properties.)

Well, I think we have four examples of mirrors: Father Inire's, the Old Autarch's
book, Hethor's and the ship sails. I am inclined to think all four are meant to be
essentially the same sort of thing with the same properties, transportation among
them.

I don't think the ship sails are meant to be light sails. There seems to be no
stellar origin to its propulsion (aside from some dreamy, perhaps misinformed
poetic report by Severian). It seems to confine its travels to the void. Moreover,
iirc, when it travels to the higher universe it passes through the primeval soup of
our own universal origin, where all the stars are clumped together. I'd think all that
light would push intensely hard against light sails, rather than draw them in.

I'm content with the notion that, in their function  they reflect "reality" whatever
that means, rather than light. How else to explain inter-universal travel? (esp. in
writings from 30 years ago)