(urth) Marble on Urth

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Jun 2 17:58:33 PDT 2011

On 6/2/2011 8:07 AM, James Wynn wrote:
> I really think you ar e both misreading this. It's "enormous darkness
> OVERHEAD blotting the sundrenched fields". If the darkness is
> overhead, then it can't blot the sun-drenched fields which --on Urth--
> are below. I think you guys are thinking of "blot out" which is a
> different picture. If it is the shadow of a transport "blotting the
> fields" then it can't be overhead. What we are to envision is the
> blackness of the Nightside against the "sun-drenched fields" of the
> Dayside.

Your reading is not illogical, in fact it's brilliant, but I think it's
counterintuitive. And I read "blot" differently:

   1. Mark or stain (something)
          * - the writing was messy and /blotted/

   2. Obscure a view
          * - a dust shield /blotting/ out the sun

I think your sense is #2, the obvious one, but I see it as #1. The
darkness above, since it creates a shadow, "stains" the sun-drenched
field below it. It does not blot it out.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 110602-2, 06/02/2011
Tested on: 6/2/2011 8:58:33 PM