(urth) Problematic element in chronology

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Thu Jun 2 12:29:55 PDT 2011

On 6/2/2011 12:38 PM, Sergei SOLOVIEV wrote:
> I made some computations (simplified) and it seems to me that indeed
> GW does not pay too much attention either to physics or to chronology.
> Very roughly,
> with constant acceleration of 1 m/sec^2 it is needed about 50 years to get
> to relativistic speed, and the same to slow down.

I think you are off by a factor of 5 or so.

300,000 km/sec is 300,000,000 m/sec

/1 m/sec/sec is 300,000,000 sec

/60 for 5,000,000 min

/60 for 83,333 hr

/24 for 3472 days

/365.25 for 9.5 years

As a check, the familiar factoid of 1 year at 1 g to reach lightspeed:

9.8 m/sec/sec round up to 10 m/sec/sec

*60 for 600 m/sec/min

*60 for 36,000 m/sec/hr

*24 for 864,000 m/sec/day

*365.25 for 315,576,000 m/sec/year

/1000 for 315,576 km/sec/year

c is actually a little under 300K, so this is more like lightspeed in 50
weeks.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >