(urth) Lame Protagonists

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 17 05:17:17 PDT 2011

>JBJordan: IIRC it's also in The Hero as Werewolf.

Nice to see you again, James! BTW, I still consider your 1996 interview with Gene
Wolfe to be a watershed moment in understanding his work. I quote from it
often.

>Gerry Quinn: For what it's worth, though, we do see a wounded king (Severian, the
>Autarch, or both) in a wounded land (the Commonwealth).  The wound of the Fisher
>King may be in the groin or the leg, suiting the Autarch or Severian...There is
certainly a Grail in BotNS (the White Fountain).

Who are you and what have you done with Gerry Quinn?

>So I mention it, but I am not at all convinced that any intentional reference exists.

Ah, there you are. But you DID mention it.  That says something ;- ). Plus it is a
significant contribution, imho.

>JBarach: The cross is the crushing/bruising of  Jesus' heel, the serpent's strike at
>Jesus, which results in Jesus' death ...  but that death isn't final, and in the
>serpent's striking at Jesus, the serpent  ends up with his own head crushed.

This reminds me of Severian's encounter with Typhon. Though his foot is not injured
there, he is dangled in a vice-like grip by his ankle(s).  And of course he does crush
the head of a character whose mythological namesake is variously associated with snakes,
dragons and the Devil.