(urth) More on Frog and Fish & Ymar

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 14 05:16:57 PDT 2011

>Stanislaus B: The mythical worldview is that there is one superior world of gods
> - the True World, and the Secondary World in which we live. The true patterns
>from the True World are repeated many times in the Secondary World - but
>each time they are distorted by the matter and accidents, so the
>repetitions are never exact. For that reason Poetry is more true than History.

This sentiment claws to the heart of the Sun Series for me, especially BotNS.

It may be that Wolfe considers the problem of which world to consider "superior"
and "True" to be relativistic. That is, from a religious/mythological perspective,
the world of God(s) is the true one and our human world is a shadowy created
reflection of that true world. While from a humanistic/scientific view, our world
is the real one and the stories of God and gods is a shadowy reflection of our
reality.

The circularity Wolfe gives humans and Hierogrammates in BotNS suggests to me he
considers both perspectives to have equal footing and validity.