(urth) not quite Father Inire's mirrors . . .

Son of Witz Sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Wed Jun 8 16:59:10 PDT 2011

On Jun 8, 2011, at 10:13 AM, "Dan'l Danehy-Oakes" <danldo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Gerry Quinn wrote:
>

>> "How foolish to call them mirrors. They are to mirrors as the enveloping
>> firmament is to a child's balloon. They reflect light indeed; but that, I
>> think, is no part of their true function. They reflect reality, the
>> metaphysical substance that underlies the material world."
>
> I think what they really reflect is a great deal of handwaving on
> Wolfe's part, and a not insignificant quantity of willing suspension
> of disbelief on the reader's part.
>
> --
> Dan'l Danehy-Oakes

+1

I always trip out at the level of scientific analysis around here. How big the moon should look in the cover pic, and such.  Very interesting, but it cracks me up. I had a laugh when I read about the photon wind driving the sails. I took it as a peotic notion, and not hard science fiction. I think Wolfe's poetic side wins out over his engineer side quite often.