(urth) Sev's family tree/gender bender

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 31 20:04:01 PST 2011

>Gerry Quinn- Lucky the alzabo didn't get him.  It would have become the terror
>of the countryside, wandering around telling stories about Fechin for hours to its
>victims, until in despair they threw themselves into its jaws...

Heh, that's pretty funny!

Was just rereading that Casdoe section. An interesting quote supporting my Agia=assassin
guess, requiring mistaken gender:

>"Women and tailors hold the blade beneath the hand, according to the proverb, but
>Agia stabbed up to open the tripes and catch the heart from below, like an accomplished
>assassin."

Also regarding gender misidentification- the old person starts his/her Fechin story with:

>"His face wasn't a monkey's face at all [apparently someone thought it was]. Fechin was
>handsome--the handsomest around. he could always get food or money froma  woman. He could
>get anything from women....

>I had a piece of paper the schoolmaster had given me. Real paper....

>But Fechin loved to draw, and while we walked I thought about that, and how his face would
>look if he had paper to make a picture he could keep....Fechin didn't know I had it, but I
>took it out and showed it to him, and tore it in two....

..and the light of it [the sun] on Fechin's face was more than I could stand. It made my eyes
water"

The attraction the old person has for Fechin's face doesn't seem very masculine to me, unless
in a homosexual way. But Fechin can get anything from women, even a precious piece of real paper.
The old person being a woman explains a lot of this for me.

And as Mr. T has suggested, having Casdoe's family linked to Severian makes some thematic sense
also. (if Mr. Monkey-face can be connected to both family trees. heh. Well, Fechin gets whatever
he wants from women, including children...Casdoe/Dorcas, Severian/Severa...I dunno. Might be a
connection.)