(urth) VRT as half-abo

Tony Ellis tonyellis69 at btopenworld.com
Fri Jan 7 12:11:28 PST 2011

Gerry Quinn wrote:
> How do you know how VRT's abilities compare with those of his mother?

In his cell VRT writes that he remembers his mother making herself
unattractive when his father came home drunk, using "the muscles of
her face." He adds "I have the same ability, though not to the extent
she did."

A page or so later he has a dream memory of her 'buttoned into her
dress' by his father. Whereas he can surely dress himself.

Trenchard tells Marsch that his wife was useless and "She could not
even cook!" Marsch says VRT is a great camp cook - but adds that he is
constantly burning his fingers in the fire.

> If shapechanging is an ability of the ancient humans (for reasons that need to
> be explained)...

I don't think shapechanging *is* an ability of the ancient humans (or
human-looking aliens if such they be). I don't see any evidence of
that, and it creates a lot of problems. I think maybe they can do
voices and control the muscles of their faces, something both
Trenchards say the mother can do. I'm not even sure it's that. I
wonder if maybe they just think themselves different and the Shadow
Children send back this thought "greater, greater, greater" than
before.

>[VRT] does rather well with it, substituting for a professional
> man from Earth and getting away with it for quite some time (he was unlucky
> to be caught).  His mother did not pull off any coup of this sort.

Which again suggests VRT is only half-abo. His mother stole without
compunction, "if she had eaten she wanted nothing", and by VRT's own
account she "knew nothing" either. She wasn't equipped to integrate
with human society beyond a base level.

> I don't know if he thinks he is genetically the son of his apparent father -
> does he indicate this anywhere?

Hmm, not that I can recall. He certainly thinks he is half Annese. "At
least half of me is animal," he says at one point. "The Free People
are wonderful... but they are animals." There are lots of other
utterances like that.

He doesn't like his father, however, so I think he would have disowned
him if he could.