(urth) interview questions

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Sun Jan 2 14:18:06 PST 2011

I think it is wrong to think of Aunt Jeannine as an unreliable narrator in
this instance.  The full quote is: "Veil. who wants a dramatic explanation
for the cruelty and irrationality he sees around him, has hung fifty pounds
of theory on nothing."

Essentially, this is all basically true, except that "nothing" is an
exaggeration.  Veil's Hypothesis, in its strong form, is obviously
incorrect.  There has been no wholesale replacement of humans by the native
Annese; this is plain from such diverse indications as eye colour, tool use,
and the stories of Marsch's interviewees.  The world of Saint Croix is
indeed cruel and irrational, and there is no reason to doubt that Jeannine
has at least wondered whether her motivation in coming up with this theory
was to explain it.  The subject of man's inhumanity recurs in Wolfe; I
consider it a major theme of the Short Sun trilogy.

Wikipedia defines 'unreliable narrator' thus: "An unreliable narrator is a
narrator, whether in literature, film, or theatre, whose credibility has
been seriously compromised."  Jeannine does not fit this definition.
Although she hides her identity, there is no credibility issue - in fact one
could say it makes her *more* credible as a judge of Veil's motivationsa
than the third party she pretends to be.

Of course, Veil's Hypothesis is not wholly false; we do have one incident of
an abo replacing a human, after they had been travelling alone together for
a long period.  And clearly the shapechanging aboriginal Annese have entered
human society to some extent - but equally clearly they have not killed and
replaced the human colonists en masse. Indeed we may assume they are
outcasts for the most part - VRT thought to escape this fate, but failed due
to an unlucky encounter with the Saint Croix police.

As for the bit about calling Marsch an abo, that is certainly intriguing.
Wolfe himself has said in an interview that "the specific interrelations
that you see [in 5HoC] were developed as I went along.".  We know Wolfe
wrote 5HoC first - does anyone know whether he revised it before publication
in the light of the other works?  If so, of course there is no mystery in
the narrator's calling Marsch an abo; the various bits of evidence that
Marsch is a fraud could have been inserted at any time.

Here is something else that Wolfe said in that interview
<  http://www.depauw.edu/sfs/interviews/wolfe46interview.htm >
M: All this "showing" in "V.R.T." is made intriguingly ambiguous by the
confusion about who "Marsch" really is.
Wolfe: In the end, of course, it's important that the reader not be confused
about this, although part of the fun is supposed to be figuring out what's
happened. I leave a number of clues as to who the narrator actually is. For
example, both V.R.T. and the narrator are shown to be very poor shots,
whereas Marsch is a very good shot, and there's other hints like that. If
you hire a shape changer as a guide, there's a definite possibility that
he's going to change into your shape at some point. Which is what happens.

The first sentence is the important one: "It's important that the reader not
be confused about this."  Wolfe does NOT write stories in order to create
confusion in the reader for the furtherance of some higher mystical purpose.
Of course, every author inadvertently introduces minor errors and
inconsistencies, and there may be cases where ambiguity arises because
readers have failed to follow the author's clues, or, conversely, have
thought of possibilities that the author faild to consider.  The idea that
Wolfe purposely includes contradictions is of course attractive to those who
themselves like to hang fifty - or five thousand - pounds of theory on
nothing, and are discommoded when others point out that their hypotheses are
vastly at odds with those portions of the text they choose to ignore.