(urth) Alzabo

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 14:16:47 PST 2011

On 1/28/2011 3:54 PM, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
> Has nobody but me considered the possibility that Severian's presence
> has rekindled Becan's mind in the alzabo (much the way he rekindles
> Thecla in himself) so that Becan actually overrides the alzabo's
> instincts to protect his family?

That's the thing about Severian, isn't it? As risk of evoking Dionysus
and getting Lee all stirred up <wink>, he's just that sort of character.
If sailors come up against him, the masts might turn to snakes, the ship
fill with ivy, and the sailors go mad and turn into dolphins. Every part
of the book occurs in Severian's presence and anything can happen when
he is there.

However, the following is Severian's perspective on the event and it
DOES seem to suggest that what is happening with Becan Alzabo is the
merging of logic and instinct, of the interests of the soul and the body:

"When the alzabo rushed at the zoanthrops, its instinct commanded it to
preserve its prey from others; when Becan did so, his instinct, I
believe, was to preserve his wife and child. Both performed the same
act, and they actually performed it in the same body. Did the higher and
lower instinct join hands at the back of reason? Or is there but one
instinct standing behind all reason, so that reason sees a hand to
either side?"

Consider that the Becan Alzabo did not see the zoanthrops as food
requiring protection. Only Casdoe and Little Severian.

u+16b9