(urth) Mythic Women in BOTNS

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 07:56:22 PST 2011

> Do you see this story as having anything to do with the _Sun_ cycle? I
> feel it should have, as there are three stories called 'The * who *
> the Sun', and the other two are certainly connected. But if so, it's
> hard to make out.

No. Well, not directly. Wolfe is tilling in the same mythological soil
as the Sun cycle. But by the same token he is tilling in the same soil
as The Fifth Head of Cerberus, Pirate Freedom, and (my favorite Wolfe
short story) "Counting Cats in Zanzibar". That is, it is a 'Flying
Dutchman' story (if you kill the Flying Dutchman you become the Flying
Dutchman).

And, also, the horror story "Hunter Lake" (collected in "Starwater
Strains" is a Flood story with a Flying Dutchman theme. The thing is,
"The Sailor Who Sailed After the Sun" is just a very Wolfean story.

Incidentally, the collection "Strange Travelers" is sort of a companion
to "Innocents Aboard". Once could well imagine them being happily
combined into a single volume.

>> Unfortunately, that story revealed that Wolfe is capable of major
>> mistakes in literary references.
> Can you expand on that?

On reviewing my evidence for this, I'm inclined to take it back. That
is, I suspect Wolfe was right based on the reference text he was
probably using. Let me explain.

The monkey is from the ancient Egyptian cosmological work "The Book of
Am-Tuat". The whole ending of the short story is that in that book, the
image of the monkey and only the image of the monkey has a little "star"
over it. But when I checked it out, my source showed the same star over
multiple characters in the Tenth Hour of the Night and in other hours of
Am-Tuat. When I had my copy of 'Innocents Aboard' signed, I confronted
Wolfe on this subject and he just shrugged "Huh, well you know more
about it than me. I thought there was only one". Since I really like
this story I was disappointed in that answer.

However, after looking for online references to answer you, I now
believe that Wolfe was using as a source, EA Wallis Budge's "The Gods of
Egyptians".
http://books.google.com/books?id=xBtLAAAAYAAJ&lpg=PA198&ots=ZOQlT_aWIh&dq=monkey%20%22with%20a%20star%20over%20his%20head%22&pg=PA197#v=onepage&q&f=false
It is a classic and seminal 19th century reference. And in the drawings
of that work, I see that only the monkey has a star over his head.

Incidentally, I personally believe Wolfe was smarter than his sources
and correctly deduced that the "star" is the Sun...that is, the that
gods portrayed are stars and star groupings along the ecliptic. To me,
this is seems like a good bet from the more recent images. So, good for him.

u+16b9