(urth) Mythic Women in BotNS

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 26 14:33:02 PST 2011

Oh, should mention Severian using Terminus Est as a staff.

But perhaps more relevant, Severian is using a staff when he returns
to Urth as the Conciliator. Ceryx snaps that staff by mystical means.

Later when Zama is revived and snaps Ceryx's neck. The crowd kills
Zama.

Severian tries and fails to resurrect Zama, then notes that

"the eyes on the head on Ceryx's fallen staff rolled in their putrid
sockets to stare at me, sickened"

I dunno. Might be some sort of Dionysus/Jesus allusion going on here
but I'm too tired to figure it out. I guess maybe staffs are important
and that's all.