(urth) Mythic Women in BotNS

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 09:43:52 PST 2011

> Is there to be no parallels between these stories? For Severian and Silk (and
> perhaps also Latro) I think there is something special about these guys. It isn't just
> accidental. They were born special (as befits a hero/savior in so many myths/religions).

Able is the same. He's is predestined --even over-determined-- to defeat
all comers and to rise to the top of any environment in which he is placed.

>> Hmmm. Well, I don't think Ceryx is human. Why is he a prime candidate as an advisor to Typhon?
>
> Well first I'll mention that Borski finds evidence that Ceryx is a version of Inire. In part because
> of the non-saint name designating an alien. And in part because he carries a staff with a human head
> on it. This mirrors the appearance of Inire as the uturuncu shaman in the jungle who carries a staff
> with a monkey head on it. Inire was a vizier to the autarchs. What was he before that?

Yeah, I'd agree that that Ceryx is probably Inire.  Ceryx/human head =
Shaman/monkey head = Inire/monkey.
The more I think about it, the more I like Tzadkiel as Inire, but I
don't suppose it changes anything if he is.

> (fwiw- I don't think a being like Ceryx can really die, as we understand the term).

Well, he could at least die in the way that Pas or Hierax could die.
Then again, he might just be long-lived.

> Relatedly, red hair is also associated with vampirism.
>
> Is there anything in BotNS that you think led to the concept of Inhumi?

If there were to be a vampire in this story, it would be Agia. Since I
see no evidence she is, I guess not. However, I suspect that Typhon did
meet inhumi and Neighbors and that they were behind the launching of the
Whorl.

But Wolfe went through an extensive female vampire stage in writing:
Jahlee/Disiri/Sabra

u+16b9