(urth) Mystery of Ascia/Agia

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Fri Jan 21 12:43:09 PST 2011

From: "António Pedro Marques" <entonio at gmail.com>
> Gerry Quinn wrote (21-01-2011 20:10):

>> It would be foolish to take a law such as Dollo's as an absolute in any
>> case - but it is a pretty solid general prediction if the conventional
>> theory of evolution is valid.
>
> Not really, since our species is not known for being dependent on
> biological adapation to the environment in the same way the others are.

That doesn't so far affect the applicability of Dollo.  Dollo's Law is about
effects stemming from the interaction between the basic genetic mechanisms
of heritability of traits, and selection by whatever means. Unless we change
the actual mechanisms, e.g. by directly engineering genes, Dollo's Law will
remain valid.

- Gerry Quinn