(urth) Mystery of Ascia

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 21 12:41:24 PST 2011

I still think a discussion of actual racial features is wrong-headed in a discussion
of Ascians. I think the issue is diversity. North America, especially Wolfe's beloved USA
has always had a significant population of people with Native American features (which of
course are derived from Asian ancestry). Since colonization, there has also been a
significant portion of african-american and various european looks along with creole looks
from the Caribbean and Latin America and those from the middle east polynesia and direct from
Asia.

I think the point of Ascians is not how they look but that they all look the same. Talk
the same, think the same, act the same. Right or wrong, that is the fear Wolfe is expressing
in regards to communism. Koreans may have looked asian but so did some of Wolfe's fellow
soldiers. The sameness is the concern. The lack of diversity.

BTW, someone mentioned Hallvard earlier. His name does sound nordic (and that is a saint
name; had to check as I usually do). Interesting is that there is a significant germanic-
nordic population to be found in southern S. America. A frequent spot for them to emigrate
to as were the northern states in the USA of Wisconsin and Minnesota. I first learned of
that from my Argentinian roommate in college, Nikolaus.