(urth) Mystery of Ascia/Agia

Son of Witz Sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Thu Jan 20 17:33:00 PST 2011

On Jan 20, 2011, at 4:41 PM, "Gerry Quinn" <gerryq at indigo.ie> wrote:

> [...]

This quote from the battle,

"I think I must have cut down half a dozen Ascians before I saw that they all looked the same—not that they all had the same face (as the men in some units of our own army do, who are indeed closer than brothers), but that the differences among them seemed accidental and trivial."

-seems, to me, to suggest that Severian is encountering an unfamiliar race, as he seems to be having a very common quasi-xenohobic feeling, upon first encounter, that "they all look alike"

I'm happy to be wrong here, but I'm not convinced by the counter arguments.
There IS a distinct lack of strangely tilted or elongated eyes.  This makes a connection to Agia really weak indeed.

Re: north, I'm talking about an asian dominated North America, not the Asian continent.  Even if those North American Ascian's lose the distinctive eyes, they can still be descendants of asians, according to your argument.

To me it seems obvious to connect the Kim Lee Soong era with the humanity that traded it's wild side.  This absolutely ties in with what we know about Ascian philosophy.  It seems an obvious connection.  Does anyone deny Kim Lee Soong is an asian name?  Why would Wolfe, who does A LOT of intentional linking of phonetically similar names, use the word Ascian for what are essentially a communist metaphor?  This is a man who was in firefights with asians.  Surely he saw that this association would be made. Maybe he had to get it out of his system but later felt a bit squeamish later when possibly accused of insensitivity.

(sorry for the cut and paste format wonkorama.)