(urth) Mystery of Agia

David Duffy davidD at qimr.edu.au
Thu Jan 20 15:04:51 PST 2011

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011, Ryan Dunn wrote:

> Some other stuff that bugs me about the twins...
> . .
>
> IN AGILUS'S CELL:
>
> "I pushed her away - not into a chair this time but against the wall.
> Her head struck the stone, and though it must have been padded by her
> abundant hair, the sound was as sharp as the tap of a mason's hammer.
> All the strength seemed to leave her knees; she slid down until she was
> sitting on the straw. I would never have guessed that Agia was capable
> of weeping, but she wept.
>
> (I've expressed my issue with the specificity of this passage before,
> how Severian goes to the trouble to set up her volume of hair against
> the sound of her skull hitting the wall, and how she goes slack, quiet,
> then weeps... does not black out.)

I think he mentions this because she hit the wall very hard.
Most people have heard a definite bone-on-stone thump -- I don't think
the noise of the mason's hammer is metallic.  Even though she does not
lose consciousness, she is stunned.  Agilus is just depressed.

But yes, they're not ordinary twins, and we've already met Dr Veil.

Just 2c, David Duffy.