(urth) the prime calcula/his citadel and other quotes

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 20 13:46:12 PST 2011

Lee (and everyone else), can we stop the armchair psychologizing? I don't mean
to single you out, but you seem to do it most often.

It doesn't matter if other people don't accept your readings. When you  share
them, you send them out to the winds, and you can't control what  comes back. If
people don't like your theories and point out problems  with with, you can
listen to their reasons or ignore them.

What I don't like is when Gerry or Lee or whoever else (to be honest, I  stopped
paying close attention to the back and forth) start projecting  motivations on
each other rather than just talking about the readings.  That makes it personal,
uncomfortable, and potentially offensive. In the  context of our little list, it
doesn't matter WHY someone doesn't like  your theory. If they offer good reasons
to see problems with it, then  that's that. If they don't, ignore them. But I
think the desire to  constantly defend a position has the opposite effect of
their intention:  it makes people ignore them rather than listen to them more
closely,  especially when, and I'm sorry to single you out, Lee, you  start
labeling people as gatekeepers or whatever, it sounds like  whining. The point
of the list is to discuss Wolfe, not to provide moral support for everyone's
personal investigations. If Roy or anyone else posts a good point but does it
with complete and utter contempt for someone else, I don't care. I appreciate
the point. We all have the power to filter the substance from the delivery.
Meeting nice people is cool and all, but it's not why I'm here.

I guess my main point is that meta-discussion about why people are critical of
others' ideas doesn't change my opinion of their ideas one bit. It just takes up
space.