(urth) Mystery of Agia

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 20 12:54:07 PST 2011

>Marc Aramini: I was under the impression Ascian's would be more like the descendents of North America

They would be. And I think (based on the descriptions) we can be secure in thinking this doesn't mean
Native Americans. Moreover Agia is repulsed by the appearance of Ascians and says she will no longer
work for them.

If there is an analog to Asia in BotNS it would be the Xanthic Lands (xanthic meaning yellow). Eata has
been there but I don't remember him saying much about it....

..ah! I think Maxellindis also has laughing, maybe mocking eyes. Perhaps she is of interest to those
looking for girls with a connection to Agia. There is Maxellindis' "uncle" (even Severian dosen't
believe that) to consider. His knowledge of spooky boats and undines and such create a connection to
certain other mysterious old guys who have untoward interest in young women (I mean both Inire and Hethor
here, maybe a couple others).

>Ryan: Also, what's up with the deep voice, and similar physique to her brother? Is this a man in drag
>or something?

All those associated with Dionysus/Great God Pan are likely to be androgynous. This includes Agia and
Agilus (and the green man).

(FWIW I always associated Agia with Jennifer Grey, circa Ferris Bueller's Day Off. If you add a slightly
darker complexion and a mocking smirk to this pic...
http://cdn.babble.com/famecrawler/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Jennifer-Grey-403x340-23kb-media-796-media-79449-1030078805.jpg)