(urth) (no subject)

Thomas Bitterman tom at bitterman.net
Thu Jan 20 07:26:52 PST 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thomas Bitterman wrote:
>
> > The Soviets invaded Manchuria (a sizeable land area, not some small
> islands)
> > right about the same time as Nagasaki.  Again, Wikipedia with the info.
>
> The Soviet invasion of Manchuria was a bad joke - AFTER we had dropped
> the Hiroshima bomb, and Japanese capitulation was certain,

If capitulation was certain after the first bomb, the second bomb becomes
morally problematic.  In any case, given the continued reluctance to
surrender even after the second bomb it seems unlikely the issue was settled
after the first.

> they
> marched into a conquered area where the Japanese were grossly
> overstretched and the native population were going to hail them as
> liberators. A total "us-too" invasion.

The Japanese were scared.  They had reason to be after what the Russians had
just gotten done doing to the Germans.  There was little reason to believe
the Russians would or could be stopped.

But we are way off topic.