(urth) (no subject)

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 08:37:56 PST 2011

On 1/19/2011 9:48 AM, António Pedro Marques wrote:
> The reason people abhor nuclear bombing in a way that they dnt
> conventional bombing, is that in conventional bombing a reasonable
> proportion of the potential victims is able to fight for their lives,
> even if the odds are low. With nuclear bombing, the idea people have
> is that it just kills everyone in a given radius instantaneously. That
> sounds inhuman (yes, inhuman, not simply inhumane).

Allow me to take the Devil's side for a bit. The Imperial Japanese
culture in the early 1940s glorified nihilistic fanaticism. Long after
it was clear that they would not win the war, the Emperor and the J
government had decided that if they were beaten there should be a
genocide of the Japanese people. This, incidentally, was the ultimate
decision of Hitler's inner circle and cultic followers for Germany as
well. The Japanese soldier's who bought in to that culture did all they
could to make themselves detestable (inhuman) to American Marines and
sailors. You would go to lend medical aid to a wounded Japanese soldier
and likely as not he would have a grenade in his hand waiting to take
you out. They used the White Flag the same way. And they were famously
callous in the their own treatment of captives. Obviously, this
undermined US forces willingness to not Overkill. The use of the bombs
on Hiroshima and Nagasaki caused Japan's leadership to truly face what
their imagined genocide would be like. They presented them with an
example of that genocide, stripped of all it's potential glory, and thus
brought them back to rationality. It only barely worked. Hiroshima alone
wasn't enough and there was _actually_ a serious attempt at a coup.

Obviously, after WWII, atomic/nuclear weapons became increasingly
problematic as the technology became less and less exotic. But, if you
weigh the horrors of ALL the uses of atomic weapons over the last 65
years AGAINST the almost certain toll without them , Pres Harry Truman's
decision to use the bomb looks quite humane. So God bless the Bomb.

u+16b9