(urth) Wolfe response to questionnaire NYRSF 268

David Duffy davidD at qimr.edu.au
Tue Jan 18 16:05:21 PST 2011

Wolfe gave a brief response to a questionnaire sent out to writers by
Barbara Bengels ("The Care and Feeding of Science Fiction Writers"):

A formative moment in which you decided to become a writer?  "There was
none..."  Roommate asked GW to contribute stories to the student magazine
so he could illustrate them.

And specifically SF? "I have never considered myself an sf writer, just a
writer who writes some sf."

and on encouraging the young

"There was a little kid over on Banks Street who borrowed my sf magazines
after I had read them.  His name was John Cramer, and he bacame a nuclear
physicist [and SF writer]".  Not a story I had heard before.

Cheers, David Duffy,