(urth) the prime calcula/his citadel and other quotes

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 18 12:58:18 PST 2011

--- On Tue, 1/18/11, Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net> wrote:

> Do you really think
> Mint thought it
> worth mentioning to Horn how filthy her drawers were after
> she got out of
> the tunnels but not that Silk and Pas looked alike? That's
> not believable.

Well, again, I think Wolfe likes to leave out stuff at times so there is something to "figure out" and piece together.  If you look at statements like "the monarch wanted a son" and dreams that equate  Kypris with "mother", that is pointing at something that IS CONSISTENT with both pieces of evidence.  If Wolfe wants to create a solvable mystery, which I think is something he likes to do, then yeah, he would not have Mint mention that Pas and Silk look alike.

Why would Wolfe leave it out?  He just likes to be mysterious.  I don't think Pas and Silk are identical, but hey, Kypris shows Silk a picture of himself on Pas' body, and once again we have to make an assumption: a)it's photoshopped, or something like it
b)Pas' head looks like Silk
c) it is symbolically important that Silk is about to "succeed" Pas in Kypris' plan.

With previous words to succession and heir and Kypris identified as mother (remember, the text says whenever someone is possessed a fraction stays behind, so that Chenille is still a little bit of Kypris, Hyacinth is still a little bit of Kypris, etc.) I lean toward interpretation c, but we are ignoring a lot of clues if we think Typhon and Silk are COMPLETELY unrelated and choice a and making up a motive for Kypris to fake that picture is equally speculative and theoretical, in my opinion.