(urth) (no subject)

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 18 09:20:22 PST 2011

--- On Tue, 1/18/11, Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com> wrote:
 >James Wynn: Still, Huckleberry Finn is not a book
> written for Elementary or Middle
> >Schoolers, so I don't understand the need for a
> bowdlerized version.
>
> A good point. High schoolers ought to be intellectually
> advanced enough to discuss
> racism, including the word "nigger". If a student asks why
> it is okay for Mark Twain
> to use the N-word and not him, a high school teacher ought
> to be able to explain and
> encourage discussion.

With the massive tripe and nonsense on tv, every middleschooler has been exposed already to countless acts of not only artistic violence but senseless violence, sexual and otherwise.  By the fifth grade I had read some of the most disgusting things, like the scene in Mission earth where the guys inner thighs are attacked with a cheese grater in a bizarre S+M situation.  If we really don't think children are advanced enough to handle this stuff we need to re-examine the intellectual capability of the human race in general.

It was acceptable to use that term just about anywhere then, it is only acceptable in certain company now (sound harsh?).