(urth) (no subject)

Matthew Weber palaeologos at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 09:11:17 PST 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 9:01 AM, Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com>wrote:

> I am not religious and don't operate with a working definition of sin.
> Still I can recognize
> that perceptions vary based on history and culture. What many Americans
> consider a justifiable,
> even necessary action is considered one of the worst crimes ever against
> humanity by most of
> the rest of the world. Only in the last few years have I started to notice
> a recognition in the
> USA of what many in the rest of the world call "Hiroshima Day".

Somehow, I doubt this includes many of the countries that Japan invaded; I'd
think they would remember all too well the way they were treated by their
conquerors.  The human cost of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was immense, but
through those actions the Japanese got a taste of how their armed forces
were waging war in the Pacific.

The *raisons de guerre* of the Allies in WWII were far from purely
altruistic, it's true.  But even impure motives can produce positive
results; the outcome of that war, it seems to me, was more desirable than if
we had just allowed the Axis to do as they wished.

--
Matt +

Poetry comes fine-spun from a mind at peace.
    Ovid [Publius Ovidius Naso], (43 B.C. - A.D. c.18), Tristia, I, i, 39