(urth) some mysterious stuff in Long Sun

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 06:08:31 PST 2011

>> James Wynn-
>> When Silk meets his parents in Mainframe, Horn writes:
>>
>>     "You must, my lad." A man's voice, the voice of which Lemur had been
>>     a species of mockery. Looking up he saw the carved brown face from
>>     his mother's closet.
>>     "We're your parents." He was tall and blue-eyed. "Your fathers and
>>     your mothers."
> Andrew Mason-
> Ah, OK - that (the first line) seems definitely to be Tussah speaking;
> can it not be explained simply by saying that Lemur was imitating
> Tussah?

I don't consider it clear at all that it is Tussah speaking. In fact, I
don't think there is _any_ definitive reason to assume "You must, my
lad." and "We're your parents." to be spoken by different people. Quite
the opposite. "He" is a pronoun that would assume the person had already
been referred to. The man with the wit the carved brown face from his
mother's closet is the man with the blue eyes (and the only reason the
face was brown was that it was carved--it says nothing about the face
Silk was looking at.

The thing is that people assume Tussah speaks first and then Silk ONLY
because they assume Tussah's is the 'carved brown face' and Typhon has
the 'blue eyes'. But the flat reading of the text argues that only one
father speaks.  I think the reason the fathers' faces aren't separately
described is because they were the same.

As for Lemur, it is his VOICE that was a 'mockery'. This leads me to
believe that the man with the 'carved brown face from his mother's
closet' was Typhon.

For the record, I am becoming increasingly convinced that Silk is not
the only reprentative of Typhon in this story:

Silk, Tussah, Lemur, Pike (because Silk mistakes the Rajan for Pike's
ghost),
and Quetzal (whose mother would have fed on Tussah).

There is a fly in this ointment that Marc has pointed out: Chenille
looks like Tussah and Horn says she doesn't look like Silk. This tells
me that explanation is either a little bit off or there is a big piece I
don't understand. That "Tussah is just a guy" will not do.  Still, if
someone is looking to make all the rest of it "go away", here is his out.

> It would help to know something about the real afterlife in the _Sun_
> universe. Are Typhon and Lemur in the kind of place from which the
> Outsider might send them?

That's a very good question. This near death experience is odd. If they
are in Mainframe, this isn't an Outsider event. This is a meeting staged
by Pas and Typhon to further the Plan of Pas (which we are told in RTTW
is not necessarily contrary to the Will of the Outsider). If this is the
case, then Quetzal is probably in on it too, since he is standing over
Silk when he revives.

u+16b9