(urth) the prime calcula/his citadel and other quotes

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Mon Jan 17 17:06:47 PST 2011

From: "Lee Berman" <severiansola at hotmail.com>
>>Gerry Quinn:
>>But the main reason is what one can see so often on this list:  people get
>>caught up on some idea they think must be the secret key to a Wolfe story,
>>or mistake metaphor for plot - and end up building tottering towers of
>>babble that don't make any sense at all in terms of the concrete elements
>>of
>>the story.
>
> Such honesty is refreshing. The metaphor of boys playing with toys is apt.
> Every daycare
> is populated with those who delight in building block towers and those who
> delight in
> knocking them down. I think when people's roles are so explicitly defined,
> there is less
> cause for argument and strife.

The block towers of small children were not the metaphor.  Nor do I delight
in knocking them down.

When some adult constructs something which they intend to be part of a
load-bearing structure, I consider that I'm doing them a favour pointing out
reasons why it needs to be modified befure being usable as such.

- Gerry Quinn