(urth) the prime calcula/his citadel and other quotes

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 17 13:48:46 PST 2011

--- On Mon, 1/17/11, Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net> wrote:

> One of the two heads she saw was clearly Piaton's, the same
> idiotic-looking
> fellow who had trouble catching his breath that Severian
> had seen on Mt.
> Typhon. If the other head she saw had looked like Silk's,
> she would have
> been shocked silly, but she gave no indication, then or
> later, that the
> other head looked anything like Silk, so I'm going to
> stretch my imagination
> and suggest that Silk does not look like Pas, who was
> Typhon, who was so
> fond of his own face that he had it carved into a
> mountain.

This is why I tend to lean Silk more as a son to succeed him than exactly identical to Typhon,(previously mentioned in the text at least three times, Typhon's desire for an heir to replace him when his existing children were just no damned good) and that the photoshopping of Silk was showing the "line of succession".  This explains the Kypris/hy/mother assocation without having to worry about how Pas' lover could be his mother too, something I don't want to tackle.  I think Silk is straight up genetically descended from Typhon, not necessarily identical.