(urth) some mysterious stuff in Long Sun

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 17 12:29:53 PST 2011

--- On Mon, 1/17/11, James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I have, but you'd have to accept that Wolfe is doing
> something extra-textually with the story to accept that;
> that is, drawing from the Illiad, Robert Graves, etc.
>
> u+16b9

Fair enough, James.  It can't hurt to consider it, I just don't like Tussah as a clone of Typhon because of the pages of puzzling Horn does about how Chenille does not in any way shape or form resemble Silk when she is supposed to be Tussah's daughter, and Silk his step son.  That's all.  I guess it can be enlightening but sometimes one to one relationships seem a bit altered.  (ie - if we can't find a good reason in the text for Tussah to even look like Silk, then its hard for me to accept.  He is bald and bearded older, right?  The body of Silk has long hair, Horn was the bald one.  Its just the statement that Chenille is his genetic daughter and the lengths Horn goes to to say how she resembles Auk way more than Silk really put a wrench in that ID for me).

So, enlighten me. What is the significance of the tessera Thetis again?   I have a little diagram drawn in the front of my epiphany of the long sun where it says mint (sword of echidna) + ? = Auk (Hierax?), Lily - Bustard (adopted?).  Then I have written "Does anyone say Thetis? or Frays?"  I have no recollection of writing Frays.  What does that even mean?  Anybody know what I was talking about?  heh heh.  My own note are getting as cryptic as Wolfe.