(urth) (no subject)

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sun Jan 16 20:34:43 PST 2011

On 1/16/2011 9:25 PM, Lee Berman wrote:

>> Jeff Wilson: especially if the image was supplied by a known artist like
>> Fechin. (Though I think Casdoe's dad is misrembering Rudesinde as
>> "Fechin" when he talks about the scampy, long-limbed boy artist.)
>
> Careful Jeff. YOu are going too far down my path. ;- )

Not at all. Casdoe's dad calls Severian "Becan" even though he knows it
is not the right name at least some of the time, so we know he gets
names wrong some times, right? In fact, he can't name the girl in the
anecdote at all.  But he otherwise speaks as thoguh he and "Fechin" are
school chums, while Severian judges him to be Rudesind's age. Meanwhile,
Fechin was a publicly known artist at the time Rudesind was a schoolboy,
so he has to be significantly older than Casdoe's dad and Rudesind.

Sev can see that the boy in the portrait is the younger appearance of
the old man on the ladder. If the brushes really signify a
self-portrait, it's not Fechin on the ladders pretending to be Rudesind,
it's a plot by Fechin to make people think he looks like Rudesind.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >