(urth) (no subject)

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sun Jan 16 10:23:41 PST 2011

On 1/14/2011 6:22 PM, Son of Witz wrote:

> On Jan 14, 2011, at 1:59 PM, Andrew Mason<andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>
>> I suspect that Severian's lovers represent the different classes of
>> the Commonwealth, linking him to all of them.
>>
>> Thecla - exultant.
>> Valeria - armiger.
>> Dorcas - optimate.
>> Jolenta - commonalty.
>> Cyriaca - (former) religious.
>> Daria - servant of the throne.

Didn't Sev pointedly reject Daria?

>> Apheta - cacogen. (She would certainly be called that if she came to Urth.)

Yea and no; "cacogen" is Urthspeak for Bug Eyed Monster, and hierodules
wear scary monster masks when they visit Urth undercover. Apheta, being
a hierarch, doesn't need a disguise because she appears outwardly human
and if she reveals herself to be an exalted being, well, "divine
messenger" is right up there just under the Autarch.

> VERY interesting.
> I think you've hit the nail on the head, Andrew.
> I'd say the Khaibit's are more or less their own class. Enslaved Prostitutes.

They could be the aristocrats of the underpeople, made to pass for human
unlike the cat women, mastiff men, anpiels, etc.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >