(urth) (no subject)

Jack Smith jack.smith.1946 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 10:11:30 PST 2011

Dorcas did not seem like an optimate to me, since optimates were the "best"
people of the Roman republic and Dorcas never struck me as being what we
might call upper or upper middle class.   What Wolfe says in the appendix is
that "optimates appear to be more or less wealthy traders...there are some
hints that Dorcas originally belonged to this class." (CotC, appendix)   Now
that sounds more like it.   Dorcas seems somewhat refined (more than Agia)
and her father appears to have been successful.  But her marriage to the old
boatman brought her down in the world economically, and then led to her
death.  A sad figure.

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 11:49 AM, David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net>wrote:

> Points for difficulty, but a deduction for trying too hard. (^-^)
>

> On 1/15/2011 11:36 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
>
>> That seems reasonable, though it could simply be an artefact of Severian's
>> rather extensive... coverage.
>>
>> - Gerry Quinn
>>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 110115-0, 01/15/2011
> Tested on: 1/15/2011 11:49:51 AM

Best wishes,
Jack