(urth) lameness

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 14 18:14:06 PST 2011

But alas, I feel Wolfe is only a casual Graves fan, with stuff like I Claudius being on his definitely read list (past tense), and the more obscure stuff like King Jesus . . . he never read :(.

I feel like non-mythical external sources are only useful a very very small part of the time for interpretation- they were in Latro for example, obviously.  Borges, Proust, Vance, all clear influences, undeniably.

In addition, Gene tends to be very well read in 19th century English literature and in myths, but he is not a literature professor, so even foreign language classics like War and Peace, Brothers Karamazov, the Magic Mountain ... well, he was too busy surpassing those works, so I think he has actually read more genre pulp stuff than we normally look at for influence, and let some of those non-english language masterpieces kind of sit on the shelf. Just saying most literary professors are probably significantly more well read than Wolfe, but also significantly (here it comes) less creative and intelligent.