(urth) (no subject)

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Fri Jan 14 13:18:41 PST 2011

From: "Lee Berman" <severiansola at hotmail.com>

>>David Stockhoff:
>>(The connection between "lame" and "castrated" is the theory that when a
>>hero in literature is wounded in the "thigh," that really means he's
>>been rendered, er, drastically impotent---or at least that the two are
>>related by proximity. A king who cannot ride and fight may still be able
>>to sire an heir, but he's still cursed. BTW, has anyone wondered why
>>Severian and Valeria never had an heir?)
>
> The mythic connection between lame and castrated is something I've never
> encountered before. Thank
> you David!!!

Severian may exaggerate his sexual prowess, but he does not indicate that he
is unable to perform sexually, as one would expect of a castrated man.  It
seems unlikely that he would particularly desire a child from any of his
sexual encounters in BotNS.  If contraceptive technology has not been lost
in Severian's time, it may not have been much of a concern..

> I have wondered more than once in these annals about the lack of pregnancy
> in Valeria. I guess we
> could think of it as a pre-castration condition for the New Sun (what if
> he failed and faced castration;
> he can't have already had a child).
>
> I have another rather obtuse interpretation for Valeria's barreness.
> Severian, following a generic Greek
> hero pattern, is like an anti-Oedipus. There is always at least some tiny
> clue that each woman Severian
> has sex with is related to him. He is anti-Oedipus because, though cursed
> by incest, the one female family
> member he doesn't have sex with is his mother.

Just as there is some tiny clue that everyome is a character from Dr. Who,
if you are looking for such clues.

If all Severian's lovers in BotNS are close relatives, his family would seem
to be extraordinarily diverse and geographically dispersed.  His lovers are
spread (so to speak)  from the slums of Nessus to the Autarch's Palace to
villages in the interior and the minor aristocracy of provincial towns. They
include pureborn exultants and those who are apparently lowborn, and some
who are in between.  If we include UotNS, we may add a woman from thousands
of years in the past, and a female creature not borm on Urth, nor even in
Urth's universe.  But even leaving these two  aside, the thesis seems
improbable to say the least.

Furthermore, apart from Dorcas there is just one woman mentioned in the
story whom most agree is plausibly a close relative of Severian's.  That is
Merryn - and there is no indication that Severian has sexual relations with
her.  If Wolfe intended to indicate that Severian's lovers were hidden
relatives, leaving Merryn out appears rather bizarre!

- Gerry Quinn