(urth) Atonement Theology and the Conciliator

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Jan 13 14:59:49 PST 2011

On 1/13/2011 5:45 PM, Matthew Weber wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 2:33 PM, David Stockhoff
> <dstockhoff at verizon.net <mailto:dstockhoff at verizon.net>> wrote:
>
> Anselm and Urban reputely pulled out their lawn chairs to watch the
> Cathars---fellow Christians who followed more conservative
> teachings---get massacred.
>
> *********************
>
> Anselm?  No mean feat for a man who'd been dead 100 years before the
> Albigensian Crusade began.
Must have been a different Anselm. I'll check that.

> If your reference point is Gnosticism, then the teachings of the
> Cathars were indeed more conservative.  And the Carolingian emperors
> did not create a new rite, much less a new theology--they suppressed
> local rites in favor of the Roman Rite, and their theology is
> consistent with the development of Western Catholicism to that point.
Well, it's your source against mine. ;) However, since my source is
recent, its relative correctness is irrelevant. Wolfe would know your
source, not mine.

OTOH, what you are saying is exactly what I said: the Carols suppressed
local (Saxon) rites and their Christianity WAS Western Catholicism.
> Unquestionably churchmen of the time countenanced things that repulse
> us.  But I'm very wary of truth-testing religious propositions by
> measuring them against the political positions currently in fashion;
> if anything, it seems to me that it ought to go the other way around.
> If there are timeless religious truths, then they should inform our
> political decisions.
As I stated, and as you know more than I do, Anselm's theology didn't
last, at least officially. So it was truth-tested pretty quickly and
found wanting. Our current "fashionable" positions don't really enter
into it except as Wolfe might agree with them.

And I am sure he would not approve of slaughtering Muslims for
salvation, so....

---
Virus Database (VPS): 110113-0, 01/13/2011
Tested on: 1/13/2011 5:59:49 PM