(urth) Dome, Dome on the Range

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 13 14:41:37 PST 2011

Sevs' assertion of distance have to be taken with a grain of salt, its like me telling you DC is thousands of miles away off the top of my head, or that I think the moon is like a million miles out there somewhere.

He is not an expert, only a rather uneducated layman in astronomy, and at that point he has no direct experience of going to Lune.  Go on the street and ask your average state employed executioner how many miles away the moon is, and you will wind up with some close approximations and some impossibilities.  Unless we are going to say his infallible memory makes every detail completely accurate, since he would have read it once and repeated it.  meh.  Far more accurate would be his estimation of the distance he travelled in a day or in a march.

I believe Jeff quoted, but Severian claims: