(urth) Atonement Theology and the Conciliator

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Jan 13 14:33:36 PST 2011

I have long been trying to figure out specifically what, if anything,
Wolfe was trying to get at with his depiction of a man who becomes a god
called the Conciliator. I recently read a few things that crystallized
the topic for me.

I formulate my main question as follows: To what extent does the
Conciliator represent, signify, or suggest (a) a situation of either
more or less enlightenment than modern Catholicism (b) Catholicism
itself? That is, does it depict a lower form of Catholicism---one that
might then be interpreted as a parody or as a kind of paganism---or a
higher form---one that at least grasps the nature of the fictional/SF
universe in which it exists?

Failing that, at least I think I may have run into some things that got
the Wolfe brain churning in his reading and research.

Before I unload, I want to announce my intent (1) to avoid terms and
arguments that will confuse these remarks with previous discussions and
(2) to leave blank what I feel anyone can fill in or confirm, or that
those more versed in Catholic thought than I can address. Some
ideas/events to which I will allude could fill books with exposition,
but I won't do that. So you won't find all the possible ramifications
addressed here.

Also, I'm just going to assume that anything _I_ can find and _I_ find
interesting, Wolfe also read and found interesting when he was
researching Catholicism before he converted to it. All my quotes will be
from the Catholic Encyclopedia unless noted; it's online now but was
first published in 1917.

Apologies for the incoherence.

1. Conciliation

The name "Conciliator" is a synonym of the name "Mediator," applied to
Christ, the "One Mediator" between God and Man, who have been estranged
since Paradise (Old Testament). The perfection of this Mediator is seen
in his being both God and man at once. (Don't ask me how this affects
the Trinity!) As such, "By the union of the Eternal Word with the nature
of man all mankind <http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09580c.htm> was
lifted up and, so to say, deified. "He was made man
<http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07706b.htm>", says St. Athanasius
<http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02035a.htm>, "that we might be made
gods" (De Incarnatione Verbi, 54).

Also, although "conciliation" is generally synonymous with "mediation,"
a conciliator may issue a binding opinion. There is thus added an
element of force---but only if both parties agree, so consent is present.

---Note the word "gods" vs "God." BOTNS and especially UOTNS lay out a
scenario of literal uplift presented in SF terms. The Judaism of the Old
Testament is generally considered by Christians to have been improved on
by the events of the New, so that is an example of an actual, historical
uplift event. Specifically, the sixth Council of Trent referred to " the
insufficiency of Nature, and of Mosaic Law
<http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10582c.htm>," pretty much settling that.

But there is a tension here between raising humans up toward God and
raising us up toward ... something else, perhaps something with xtreem
powers. Maybe we are to be lifted up to something more than high-speed
broadband communion with the divine, or living on bread and water or,
for that matter, sunlight and fresh air. Someone should write about that....

---Fun quote: "Christ is the Crown the Centre, and the Fountain of a new
and higher order of things..."

2. Atonement
""God was in Christ reconciling the world to himself" (2 Corinthians
5:19 <http://www.newadvent.org/bible/2co005.htm#vrs19>). But the peace
of that reconciliation was accomplished by the death of the Divine
Redeemer...."

These are thus two separate events, and the rising from the dead was
another separate event. The concept of atonement focuses on the death
alone and what it "bought" (an idea related to the "blood debt" of the
German and Celtic tribes in which a murder can be paid for by the
murderer). "Christ accepted death as the chief feature of His atoning
sacrifice."

Anselm developed this concept further in the Middle Ages, but his
obsession with the Incarnation's death as the only path to salvation was
later rejected, as was his "tendency to treat the Passion of Christ as
being literally a case of vicarious punishment." Fear of the wrath of
God was another element; these ideas took hold and persisted despite
Reform. (Puritanism hung on to it.) Anselm tended to dismiss the
Resurrection.

3. Atonement Theology as a Tool for Evil
In "Saving Paradise: How Christianity Traded Love of This World for
Crucifixion and Empire," the authors (two pacifist female theologians)
describe how Christianity became a political tool for the Roman Empire,
then Charlemagne, and then the Papacy (and presumably King Henry VIII,
no slouch at twisting religion to his own ends). I have to agree that
the religion developed during this period was largely a perversion that
took European civilization several steps backward into barbarity. The
Church later retreated from some of its worst positions.

Setting that particular thesis aside, it is a matter of historical fact
that Charlemagne crushed the Saxons by a combination of force,
slaughter, resettlement at spearpoint, and accusations of paganism, thus
establishing his empire. He also established a new church to serve his
political aims. The new Carolingian Christianity had its own rite and
was far more authoritarian than previous versions. This rite made a
graphic victim of Christ and declared his murderers---and anyone who did
not accept the Carolingian rite and Carolingian rule---enemies of
Christendom. Around this time (~900-1000) crosses began to appear in
churches. Previously, churches had domes painted blue and walls painted
with pastoral scenes and had no crosses with corpses on them.

Originally, soldiers who served had to leave the church for at least a
year and undergo a long process of rehabilitation before they were
readmitted. Over a millennium, through the Constantine and Carolingian
periods, Christianity's aversion to violence lessened until Urban II
made violence a path to salvation in declaring the Crusades open for
business. At the same time, Church leaders changed the focus of the
Christian "paradise" from something present and accessible for
all---especially for outsiders unconnected with politics, as in the
early centuries---to something reserved for monks and the dead. A pious
Christian had these choices: kill, suffer, die, or some combination. The
Crusades offered all three, and if you failed to die you came home rich.

And you didn't need to go to Jerusalem to find Muslims to kill; there
were pacifist Cathars in the south of France. Anselm and Urban reputely
pulled out their lawn chairs to watch the Cathars---fellow Christians
who followed more conservative teachings---get massacred.

In this period, hell (vs paradise) became a prominent element of
Christian preaching. Even the faithful were murderers of Christ who
should fear God. Anselm wrote a prayer (The Meditation to Stir Up Fear)
that is an imagining of oneself standing before God in danger of Hell:
"Horrors! Horrors! ... I am a sinner, deserving punishment. See, the
accused stands before the tremendous Judge.... Terrible is the severity
of the Judge. Torments without end, without interval, without respite,
horrible tortures." Note that this fear wasn't just for bad people, but
everyone---it was a critical part of what faith was supposed to be.

The torture of Christ became just as important as the Death itself, as
Christians were told to try to experience his suffering as a path to
salvation. Gerard believed that just looking at "the Mediator hanging on
the cross" would protect one from Satan. Death after suffering became
the gift brought by Christ---not everlasting life, as it was originally
conceived. Peter Damian preached self-mutilation to his followers. The
point is that torture was not a great thing Christ did for "us" or even
a bad thing done TO Christ for "us" but rather an excellent thing we
should be so lucky to experience ourselves. (Mel Gibson is of this school.)

4. Minor Correspondences
---Hildegard of Bingen pushed back against much of this theology. But I
will only note that she often spoke of divine /viriditas, /or "greening
power," as something people can partake of through love. (Love was
another concept severely twisted by Anslem's atonement theology, but
that's another topic.) Makes me think of the Green Man, of course, and
also of Paradise, the original incarnation of God's love for Man and
Christ's promise to those he saves, since that is his Urth. (Green, to
me, is Paradise with snakes.)

---Abelard fought against Anselm with some success but was defeated. He
is known for his affair with the nun (later abbess) Heloise, in which he
was castrated by agents of Heloise's noble uncle. This reminds me of the
castrated/lame heroes of The Golden Bough, and of course of Severian's
predecessor as Autarch; Severian himself is lame. Their affair reminds
me vaguely of Severian and Thecla; Abelard wrote frankly of it in his
autobiography (framed as a series of letters to his friends), and it is
generally considered one of the great love stories of all time.

(The connection between "lame" and "castrated" is the theory that when a
hero in literature is wounded in the "thigh," that really means he's
been rendered, er, drastically impotent---or at least that the two are
related by proximity. A king who cannot ride and fight may still be able
to sire an heir, but he's still cursed. BTW, has anyone wondered why
Severian and Valeria never had an heir?)

5. What's the Point?
If _I_ were researching Catholicism to decide if I wanted to join it, I
would ask some hard questions. Many of the above remarks deal with
cliches familiar to anyone who went to Catholic school or saw a movie
about it. But I'd want to know the position of the Church on
authoritarianism, torture, terror, propaganda, and so on. Are these
still OK? or are they renounced? Does the Church still glorify an
ancient method of execution? These are real issues from that
perspective, because some church fathers actually participated, if
indirectly, in mass murder. We still experience the consequences of the
Crusades: imperialism, racism, authoritarianism. And I would research
these events and learn about them.

My hypothesis is that, much as Wolfe has written about Celtic and
Germanic mythology as a step toward a true understanding of the divine
in a bewildering and difficult world, so perhaps should the Christian
theology of this period also be understood as a misunderstanding---an
inadequate and misguided attempt at the same.

Wolfe's Conciliator myth is not a version of it but a distillation of
its symbolic elements. If Severian does represent reconciliation, he
represents reconciliation by force, with its attendant needless
suffering and death. It remains unclear after UOTNS whether mankind is
actually uplifted by his existence or not, but he himself becomes a god,
fulfilling Athanasius's prediction.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 110113-0, 01/13/2011
Tested on: 1/13/2011 5:33:37 PM