(urth) Spiritual and ecological succession

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 13 13:24:49 PST 2011

Andrew Mason wrote:

> Severian does tend to distinguish rather firmly between the time when
> he was a  boy (including the opening part of SOTT) and the time when
> he was a man, even though only a year or so seems to have passed  I do
> sometimes wonder if another year or two went by without his noticing.

Footnote to this: Severian says towards the end that he revived
Triskele two years before he had the Claw, though a simple reading of
the text would suggest it was at most a year and a half. This could
just be a slip, by either Severian or Wolfe, but another possibility
occurs to me. Triskele's chapter is strangely self-contained. Could it
be that it did not happen at the place where it comes in the narrative
- between Sev's meeting with Vodalus and his visit to the library -
but rather during an earlier winter?