(urth) Dome, Dome on the Range

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Thu Jan 13 10:21:13 PST 2011

From: "Jeff Wilson" <jwilson at io.com>
> The moon's axial inclination wrt the sun of 5 degrees is usually held to
> provide very mild seasonal variation. The poles will still be cooler, and
> the small overall size is still a puzzler, but the most extreme weather
> making factor would be the month-long local day. This will tend to make
> the prevailing winds blow across the terminator from dark to light, with
> increasing mediation in the direction of rotation nearing the equator.
> You may get some concentric convection cells, making the overall weather
> patterns resemble an archery target.

Of course, if humans could accelerate the Whorl to relativistic speeds, they
could also have spun up the Moon to have a shorter day-night cycle, more
suited to plant growth.  If they felt it was necessary.

(They could also have replaced the lost heat and light from the Sun, but we
should probably ignore that.)

- Gerry Quinn