(urth) Dome, Dome on the Range

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Jan 13 07:56:57 PST 2011

On 1/13/2011 10:32 AM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
> On 1/13/2011 6:04 AM, David Stockhoff wrote:
>> It suddenly occurs to me that though Severian sees cloud and rain in
>> front of Lune, he never mentions clouds on the face of Lune.
>
> heh heh heh! Just what you would expect in my many-dome scenario.
>
>> Would lunar clouds just blend into the green at that distance? Do Earth
>> clouds only stand out against our blue ocean, which Lune would never
>> have enough water to possess?
>
> I'm not ready to agree that the moon could never posses large bodies
> of standing water; Geoff Landis' article doesn't include crunchable
> numbers for his watered-moon scenario, but I've consulted with Geoff
> numerous times previous on similarly speculative scenarios and his
> definite answers have always turned out to be well supported.
>
> That said, earthly clouds; whiteness stands out over land and sea thusly:
>
>     http://reallyhardsums.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/599px-the_earth_seen_from_apollo_17.jpg?w=350&h=350
>

>     http://preview.tinyurl.com/4pva64g
>
> while lunar features as "small" as the 85-km crater Tycho and its rays
> are visible from earth by people with good eyesight, so the cloud
> banks associated with lunar weather fronts ought to be visible from
> the earth by most people some of the time and by some people most all
> the time, even without use of instruments.

But that photo of Earth wasn't from the Moon. Also, it tends to
emphasize the South Pole, but yes, it's clear that cloud masses stand
out over land. This is a point in favor of domes, which might mist over
but I can't imagine them turning white unless there is seasonal
variation (i.e., winter).

Unless the climate of the entire Moon is equatorial and all weather
local (i.e., daily showers at 4:00 rather than large low-pressure
systems) because of a lack of Earthlike "poles" (Severian does not note
Lune's non-green poles, nor ice caps) and no jet streams, a wet Moon
ought to have fronts and therefore masses of white cloud. Without fully
understanding the effects of a non-tilted axis or small size, I can't
parse this further. But then, I think we've already gone too far.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 110113-0, 01/13/2011
Tested on: 1/13/2011 10:56:57 AM