(urth) Spiritual and Ecological Sucession

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 13 06:50:15 PST 2011

>Jerry Friedman: One of the two main hints, as I see it, is indeed Merryn.

Well, when Severian was pre-pubescent they did meet in the Witches Tower. She
answers the door and guides him to the Cumaean. But it seems implied in CotC that
the Stone Town rooftop is the second time they meet. Her hanging out in the Matatchin
Tower really doesn't sound right.

>Hide describes Severian as still growing and younger than Hide, who Silkhorn says is sixteen.

I guess there could be different year lengths between Blue and Urth. But, yeah, I get the
impression that when Severian meets Triskele he is already close to if not fully grown.

>A minor point is that Hide says the journeymen's hoods are trimmed with red, and
>in all the mentions of the torturers' clothes in TBotnS, we never hear anything about that.

I thought that could be a meta-reference to the cover art. The classic SotT cover has some reddish
pattern trimming the collar and inside of the cloak (though not the hood).

>this suggests an explanation for why Silkhorn (as the ghost of Malrubius) isn't in TBotNS.

I've heard of the idea before (Silkhorn as ghost of Malrubius). But doesn't that mean Silkhorn
would have to resemble, i.e. BE Malrubius? Silk slices animals but could he flay skin, gouge
eyes and otherwise torture human beings?

I agree there are enough inconsistencies to warrant the suggestion that this is not our version
of Severian. I still think some of the motivation for the scenario is to present a Wolfean
solution to the puzzle of who is Severian's sister: Merryn for those who prefer simpler, more
direct answers; Jolenta (who plays Jahi= Jahlee) for those who prefer convoluted and indirect
answers.