(urth) Spiritual and Ecological Sucession

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 12 20:14:18 PST 2011

> From: Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com>
> >Jerry Friedman: Seriously again, there are hints that the Severian  in /Short
>Sun/ is a different
>
> >iteration of him than the Severian in /New  Sun/.  If that's true, there may
>be no Ushas in
>
> >the world of the  /Short Sun/.  Urth may still be Urth.
>
> This is an interesting idea  that I hadn't heard before (from others).

Others here have mentioned it, maybe when you weren't reading the list or
something.  I think
more than one person has come up with it independently, but I'm not sure.

> Do the hints about Severian you
> mention have to do with Merryn? Other things?

One of the two main hints, as I see it, is indeed Merryn.  In TCotC, Severian
strongly implies that
she's a stranger to him, but in RttW they're together.  And they see it as
nothing special, though
the picture we get in BotNS is that the torturers have very few and carefully
controlled
interactions with the witches, and that a (free) girl in the Matachin Tower
would be a very
strange event.

The other, which someone else here pointed out, is that Severian takes Silkhorn
and Co. to
see his three-legged dog, and Hide describes Severian as still growing and
younger than Hide,
who Silkhorn says is sixteen.  But Severian says he briefly had Triskele not
long before he
became captain of apprentices and met Thecla, when he was apparently about
twenty, and
I don't think we can see him as a growing boy then.

A minor point is that Hide says the journeymen's hoods are trimmed with red, and
in all the
mentions of the torturers' clothes in TBotnS, we never hear anything about that.

A strange point is that the young Severian tells Silkhorn he won't put Silkhorn
in his book,
since nobody would believe him.  Aside from letting Hide tell us how good
Silhorn is, this
suggests an explanation for why Silkhorn (as the ghost of Malrubius) isn't in
TBotNS.  On
the other hand, Severian did put the ghost of Malrubius in his book, and many
other
incredible things.

Of course there are answers to these hints: we could speculate on why Severian
doesn't
mention his acquaintance with Merryn, and maybe the chronology is wrong or
Hide's
estimate of Severian's age is wrong.  So I just brought it up as a possibility
that might be
worth considering.

Jerry Friedman