(urth) Green is Urth Redux

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Wed Jan 12 15:23:36 PST 2011

On 1/12/2011 11:46 AM, Son of Witz wrote:
> On Jan 12, 2011, at 8:55 AM, Jeff Wilson<jwilson at io.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 1/12/2011 10:30 AM, DAVID STOCKHOFF wrote:
>>> As I thought. Therefore, the entire Lune is probably 70% green. No point, just saying.
>>
>> You still can't see the *far* side from the earth, due to tide locking.  Geometrically, this means you can get 70% visible area greenness with as little as 60% coverage of the near side's surface area, or 30% of the total surface area.
>

> While sometimes I think it goes too far, I'm blown away by all the math and science some of you bring to this. Great stuff.

I know what you mean. I try to make sure I deal in concepts where the
math is correct, but stays "under the hood" for the most part, the way
it does in the stories. Though the stories can get pretty technical
without mentioning too many numbers: "How I Lost the Second World War
and Helped Turn Back the German Invasion" includes a fairly detailed
allegory of atomic-level semiconductor physics that has taken becoming
an electrical engineering student myself to truly appreciate.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >