(urth) Red Sun (branch from Geen Urth Redux)

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Jan 12 11:21:22 PST 2011

--- On Wed, 1/12/11, Son of Witz <Sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org> wrote:

> From: Son of Witz <Sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org>
> Subject: (urth) Red Sun (branch from Geen Urth Redux)
> Date: Wednesday, January 12, 2011, 12:58 PM

> You know, every time I've painted the sun red it just
> seemed too dark, so I was backing off and using a very
> orange red. The text gives us "golden light" from the old
> sun at points. I've been working with color schemes that are
> pretty much like Earth, ie, the light is yellowish.  I
> imagine the old sun still looks like a shining star when you
> look at it in the day or morning, and that it doesn't look
> look like the sun does at sunset, red and not as bright, all
> day long.  Sometimes I wonder if everything should
> always look like it has a red filter over it.
>
> Anyone?
> Witz

I recall that stars are said to be visible opposite the Old Sun in morning and evening. Thus, the sun is not just red but darker/weaker. Even suggesting the sun is pink or red except at noon doesn't quite cover this degree of dimness.

I'd go for a reddish filter in morning and evening, and otherwise a fairly normal spectrum, just not as intense except at noon. I don't know how much weaker OUR sun would have to be to reveal the ghosts of stars before the sun goes down or comes up.