(urth) the miracle of apu-punchau (text based questions)

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 12 10:09:33 PST 2011

Marc Aramini: > > The chapter title here is old lands and new, but the
> demons making the claim that the sea lift the continents to
> something new  seems to have a significance I do not
> immediately grasp.  Is this just another city on Urth,
> an older one than Nessus?

I considered posting a response under the subject: under the subject: Spiritual and
Ecological Succession. This phenomenon seems to fall squarely in the same category.

Ruins under the waves of Urth imply the same thing that ruins under Blue's Oceans
or on Green imply: the pattern of Floods is cyclical.

We think the "angels" are the ones who pushed for Severian's Flood but there is
evidence that all the angels and demons that we encounter have an aquatic origin
and perhaps the Flood is part of their life cycle. They seem to be working against
each other but perhaps at a deeper level they are working together.

Perhaps this is a cosmic example of the good cop/bad cop gambit to manipulate a
subject. (I think Peter Wright leans in this direction). Maybe these god-like
creatures are somehow forbidden to create each cyclical Flood without getting
the express permission of a representative or "epitome" of the population which
will be destroyed.

Apheta labelling herself a "larva" has implications of a life cycle. It may be
inter-universal but it would seem humanity is an integral part of the life-cycle
of the species called Hierogrammates.