(urth) Green is Urth Redux

Jane Delawney jane_delawney at sky.com
Tue Jan 11 17:04:00 PST 2011

Again apologies for absence should have responded to various things
earlier.

On 11/01/11 23:34, António Pedro Marques wrote:
> Could it be Mars? I suppose in that case there would be some awful tides.
> I also don't see Typhon being able to do anything with the moon, it's too big and just because he's full of himself doesn't mean one should buy into it (could he have come from St Croix?).

Don't know about St Croix (must actually read 5hoc sometime!) but I'd
kind of assumed (on no specific evidence I have to admit) that the Whorl
was either Phobos or Deimos, ie. one of the satellites of Mars. They are
both smallish (compared to our Moon) and kind of cigar-shaped. I think
there's sufficient evidence in the text of Long Sun that the Whorl is
kind of burrito shaped - Mainframe is at the East Pole; Crew medical
centre is at the West Pole, and this seems to be the longest axis of the
ship. It rotates about its longitudinal axis creating 'gravity'. One can
reach the surface via heat-sink tunnels in a day or two, even from a
place near the centre. And so forth.

Pas/Typhon, along with the exultants (tall stature indicating origin in
a low-gravity environment, artificially maintained through generations
as a mark of rank), seems not to be a native of Urth but of one of the
other terraformed planets of our (? - actually I do think it is 'our',
just my view) system, Verthandi or Skuld. Verthandi is a terraformed
Mars; perhaps its most notorious and powerful native son nicked one of
its moons for his self-aggrandising starship project.

jd