(urth) Spiritual and Ecological Sucession

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 15:28:50 PST 2011

No dia 11 de Jan de 2011, às 21:48, Jordon Flato <jordonflatourth at gmail.com> escreveu:
> If Green is Urth (and hey, we're being literal here, so let's not get cheeky with this Urth/Ushas are the same thing crap) then Green would have to been in Severian's past, pre Ushas conversion.  And that, to me, seems completely impossible, unsupported, and just doesn't make sense.

This is a very important point. Let's repeat: Severian's Urth becomes Ushas, so, by Rolle's theorem, Green can't be a post Severian Urth (unless one goes with Marc's scheme, but I've yet to see anyone convinced by it, despite he's having done what was possible). It can't be a pre-Severian Urth unless it's pre-humankind, again by Rolle's theorem, and that doesn't make much sense at first sight. Gene Wolfe is fond of jokes but he's also very serious about them, so it's unlikely it was just a clever reply. So just what did he mean? One has to look beyond what we now know of Urth and the one-dimensionality of the global timeline. And it has to make reasonable sense and serve some purpose.